Today on DIY Friday we will explain to you how to fold a origami Pikachu! Everyone knows and loves this character from the Pokemon series and Pikachu is therefore very suitable as a nice little origami figure.
The origin of origami is hard to trace back. We do know that origami followed after the invention of paper and was a result of paper’s use in society. Independent paper folding traditions exist in East Asia, and it is unclear whether they evolved separately or had a common source.
The Japanese word “origami” itself is a compound of two smaller Japanese words: “ori” (root verb “oru”), meaning to fold, and “kami”, meaning paper.
So let’s go and fold some paper today! You don’t need many supplies to make origami and this Pikachu doesn’t take long at all to make. So gather all of your friends and family and do this DIY together!
Square yellow paper
Black and red marker
Step by step
- Lay the square piece of paper on a flat surface and fold it down.
- Take the two top corners and fold them down the middle as shown.
- Now take the two flaps you’ve just made and fold them up at a slight angle.
- Take the first flap and fold it up. It should be perfectly horizontal an make sure the tips are aligned at the top.
- Turn it over. Fold in the two outer tips at a slight angle.
- Take the final flap and line it up, just like you did with the first one.
- Take the tip and fold it down, this gives pikachu a cute little head!
- Optional: You can tape down this little tip if it doesn’t stay in place
- Turn it over and now for the fun part..let’s decorate his face with the markers!
And your DIY is done! Play around with different facial expressions and designs. What’s more, you can use this origami Pikachu for many things. You can use it as a bookmark, a little hat or just as a cute hand puppet.
“Pika Pika!” (have fun!)